Kinds of hosting services
A hosting solution appertains to storing and/or sharing certain web content on a web server run by a hosting company. There are various categories of hosting services used for different aims, so let's take a glance at them. Doing so, you can decide what you want, based on whether you desire to run a web page, mail addresses, or to share files with mates and colleagues.
- File hosting: a service offered by given file storage providers, which lets you share immense files. These could be disk images, movies, audio files, archived documents, etc. This service is also known as file storage, and its sole goal is to share files, since it does not offer site uploading. Once the files are uploaded, you will either get an accidentally created download link for each of them, or you will be able to survey a table of all the files in a directory, but you will be unable to see .html or .php web site files in your browser. Free file hosting solutions are often supported by displaying ads by the download links, while a timer forces you to wait for a specific interval of time to see them. A single file can be downloaded with restricted speed. If you buy a paid file storage package, there are no limitations as to how many files you can upload/download at once, and also there is no limit as far as the download speed and the file size are concerned.
At the moment, with the help of the cPanel hosting wholesalers, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more faddish "cloud hosting". This is a completely inaccurate interpretation of the real denotation of "cloud hosting". A real cloud website hosting platform would allot the workload between individual stacks of web hosting servers in a cluster, which are dedicated to serving various web space hosting services (electronic mail, disk space, statistics, DNS, databases, web page hosting Control Panel, and so on.) So, the file hosting service is just a brand of a data storage hosting solution, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even near.
- Image hosting: close to file hosting; specific suppliers provide a hosting solution for pictures solely. This hosting brand is good if you would like to share a vast number of pics with friends or colleagues since the service is generally free of charge. You will receive a randomly generated link for each pic or album and you can subsequently share this link. As with the file storage solution, .html and .php files are not supported, so the service cannot be utilized for web sites.
- Email hosting: a service devoted to administering your email accounts. Some companies offer web hosting services for web sites, but do not supply an e-mail service. If you wish to own an e-mail address with your domain name but do not want to run a site, then the e-mail hosting solution is what you want. You can create e-mail accounts and administer them, but there will be no web solution for the domains. The email hosting service includes incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP email servers.
- Video hosting: this service enables you to upload and share video clips. You can either share a link to a specific video, or you can embed the video clip in your web page that is hosted somewhere else. The advantage of using this approach instead of uploading the video file in a web hosting account is that the video produces a particular amount of central processing unit load, so with a bunch of video clips and several hundred site visitors, you may have a problem with your web hosting supplies. Embedding the video clip will permit you to own as many video files as you want to without bothering about system resources.
- Web hosting: this is the service that you need if you desire to own a website. To a certain extent, it includes all of the aforesaid hosting kinds since, along with your web pages, you can also host pics and files, you can set up databases and email aliases, upload video clips, etc. At rabbit, for example, you can take a peek at web hosting and dedicated server hosting solutions that allow you to have all of the aforesaid services in a single place. There may be limits depending on the kind of hosting service that you've picked - a free hosting account, a paid shared hosting package, a VPS or a dedicated server. Based on that, your web page hosting plan may be better or worse in comparison with the standard email/file/video/image hosting accounts that are conceived for specific web content only.